Two college students who tested positive for H.I.V. have been cleared to return to campus following the start of a nationwide health scare.
N.C.’s Board of Education voted Tuesday to allow the return of sophomore Stephanie Nelkin, 19, and sophomore Brittany Hodge, 18, after they returned from a two-week “cure” for Hs virus.
Nelkin was one of about two dozen students who traveled to Miami to be treated at a private clinic in the city.
Hodge and Nelkins have been on an intensive outpatient program since their first symptoms appeared in early March, according to their parents, who have said they were shocked when they discovered their daughters were infected.
Nelson said that when she learned that the girls were being held at the university, she called a number of colleges in North Carolina, including UNC-Chapel Hill, the University of North Carolina at Chapel Hill, and Wake Forest, to express her concerns.
She said her family has received no response.
The two women had been tested for H virus and tested positive in May.
They were treated in Miami and returned to the university.
The North Carolina Health Department said that after reviewing all available testing, it was determined that the two students had been positive for the virus.
The university said in a statement that it had taken steps to prevent the outbreak and was cooperating fully with the federal Centers for Disease Control and Prevention.
The two students have not been charged.
The school said it is working closely with the National Institutes of Health, the Department of Health and Human Services, the Office of the Director of Public Health and the Office for Civil Rights to ensure that the students have access to appropriate services.
They are being allowed to return and the university is making plans to educate students about the disease.
A news release issued by the university said that the first student has since been released from the hospital and that her condition is “stable.”